Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wake Up

by Shantel Hield

Someone once said, "If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere you've got to wake up and pay attention."

The world today is infested with problems. And sad to say no one is exempted, not even teenagers. Teenage girls especially are faced with many problems on the road to adulthood.

The true dilemma for young ladies in spite of all of this is, "How can one become someone who's respected in society? How can one stand strong? This can be answered by three words, which I call "The D's of Success" determination, devotion and diligence.

Let's face it ladies, the decisions you make affect you! The teenage girl is the one who ends up pregnant and is left holding the proverbial bag. The teenage girl is the one society looks down on because of pregnancy, not the male. Yes they play but they won't pay the high price you do. First you have to determine who you want to be, next become devoted toward your mission and finally, work diligently to get there.

Your mission young lady, should you choose to accept it, is to become the woman of your dreams. Maybe you want to become our first woman Prime Minister, it is possible you know. Or maybe you want to be a Businesswoman, a teacher, whatever! It depends on you. Then you'll be able to say like the group Destiny's Child "The watch I'm wearing, I bought it. The house I live in, I bought it. The clothes I'm wearing, I bought it. I depend on me cause I want it."

Wake up, pay attention and dream big! You can have the future that you've dreamed about.

Maximize today, make plans for tomorrow. First dream about it, then make it real. Don't become a statistic. Say no to drugs, alcohol and pre-marital sex. Wake up and pay attention. The future is yours. Make something of it!

GT March/May 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment