Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Friend in Need (Conclusion to A Teen's Fear)

by B. McIntosh

It was a beautiful summer day. The sun was shining, the birds were twittering in the trees, butterflies were flitting from flower to flower, trees swayed gently in the breeze and the happy chatter of children could be heard all around. However Dawn and Elaine neither saw the beauty of the day or heard the sounds as they walked slowly home from school. They were too excited to be together after being away from each other for yet another summer. Although school had been opened for three weeks they were still finding new things to tell each other about.

As Dawn chattered excitedly to Elaine about something that had happened in one of her classes Elaine’s attention wavered from the conversation. She thought about how good it was to see Dawn so happy and excited again. Dawn had had a very difficult year and had become depressed after learning that her mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Elaine had been very concerned about her friend who worried constantly that her mother would die and cried at the drop of a hat. Fortunately, after having a mastectomy and doing months of chemotherapy Dawn’s mother was doing great and was told that there was no sigh of cancer in her body.

“So what do you think about that Lainie?” Dawn’s question brought Elaine’s attention back to the one sided conversation.

“What do I think about what?”

“Hey! Where were you a moment ago? Weren’t you listening to anything I said?”

“Sure I was,” Elaine laughingly protested.

“Uh hmmm? So what was I talking about?”

“Okay, you caught me. I admit it. I wasn’t listening. I was just thinking about when school opened last year how your mom was so sick.”

“Yeah, that’s still hard to think about,” Dawn replied. “I was so scared. But thank God she’s doing great now. Dad finally allowed her to go back to work. I think he was more scared than he let on.”

“I guess he had to be strong for you and your mom.”

“I was a big crybaby huh?”

“Well…”

“Okay, okay” Dawn laughed, “You don’t have to answer that.”

“Whew! Thanks,” Elaine joked wiping an imaginary drop of sweat from her brow.

“Oh stop it,” Dawn smiled, pushing her friend gently.

At that moment they came to a stop in front of the place where they separated to go home.

“Wait a minute,” Dawn called as Elaine turned in the direction of her home. “I have something for you.”

“Really? Did I forget my own birthday or something?”

“Oh stop being silly,” Dawn said and handed Elaine an envelope with her name on it.

“What is it?” Elaine asked.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” Dawn replied. “Please don’t open it until you get home.”

“Well bye then Dawn, I gotta go I have a something to do,” Elaine said hurrying off before Dawn even answered.

“Good thing I waited until we reached,” Dawn thought crossly. “She’s worst than a little kid on Christmas morning.” But she started smiling as she walked towards home thinking that although Elaine was the most curious person she knew, she was also the best friend ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment