Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Grateful Friend

(Conclusion to A Teen’s Fear)
by B. McIntosh & S. Gould

Elaine could hardly wait to reach home to open the envelope that Dawn had given her. She couldn’t imagine what could possibly be inside. It felt too bulky to be just a letter. The short journey to her house had never seemed so long. She was tempted to tear open the envelope on the way but Dawn had made her promise that she would wait until she got home.

As soon as Elaine reached her doorstep she started tearing open the envelope. As she opened it a gold chain with half of a gold heart charm, with the word “best” inscribed on it fell out.

“Oh, wow! This is beautiful!” Elaine thought. “ I wonder why Dawn gave this to me. My birthday was months ago.” She looked into the envelope and took out the letter that Dawn had written. It said,

Dear Lainie

I wanted to write you a little note to let you know that I appreciate the help you gave me in my time of need. When my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer I felt scared and alone. You being there for me helped me out a lot. You didn’t offer a whole lot of platitudes you simply listened when I needed someone to talk to or just a shoulder to cry on. Oh and I can’t forget the fact that you prayed for me. That kept me going.

I’m giving you this chain so that you’ll always be reminded of how much you mean to me. I have the second half of the charm. Yours says “best” and mine says “friend.” Whenever you look at your half just know that you’ll always have a friend in me. I will always be there for you, just like you were there for me.

Many people think they have the best friend in the world, but I know I do. Thanks again Lainie, for everything.

Love,

Dawn


“ Oh wow!” Elaine thought as she read the note. “Wow! I think Dawn is mistaken. I definitely have the best friend in the world.” At that moment she realized that she was still standing on the steps of her house.

“If Dawn could see me now she’d think I’m the worse than a little kid on Christmas morning” she thought, unconsciously echoing Dawn’s thought. “Well” she shrugged; at least I made it home before I opened it. On that note Elaine opened the door to her home and walked in happily humming Michael W. Smiths famous song,

Friends are friends forever, if the Lord’s the Lord of them, and a friend will not say never ‘cause the welcome never ends…

Well ladies, I hope you like the conclusion of A Teen’s Fear. I don’t know about you but this makes me miss my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment