Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Teen's Fear Part 3

By B McIntosh & S Hield

"Hi Dawn," Elaine said smiling. "I was just thinking about you. You're in a good mood today. What's up?"

"The price of clothes," Dawn smiled. "

Ha, ha, my friend the comedienne. Did you get some good news about your mom? Did the doctors make a mistake?

"I wish," Dawn said, the smile vanishing from her face.

"Uh oh," Elaine thought, "now I've done it. She's going to cry again".

"She's okay though," Dawn said surprising Lainie by not crying. "She and my dad talked to me last night. She's decided to go ahead with the mastectomy. She'll be having the surgery next week."

"So how come you were so happy?" Elaine enquired, "before I spoiled it that is. You've been so depressed lately."

"It's strange really, after Mommy and Daddy finished talking we all prayed. Well anyway they prayed and I listened. I was still a bit upset with God so I kinda kept quiet. Maybe it was for the best though."

"Why is that?" Elaine asked.

"I really listened to my parents pray and as they prayed I started crying. I didn't even realize I was crying until I felt Mommy patting my head and saying "don't cry baby, it'll be alright."

"Big baby, I bet you cried even more huh?'

" You know it girl, especially after she started praying again.'

"What did she say?"

"She said, please Lord let me live to see my baby grow up. Elaine, she didn't even pray to live for herself, she prayed for me."

"Wow," Elaine said. I think we'd better change the subject before we both start crying again.

"Yeah, let's do", Dawn laughed.

"So do you think you're going to be okay now? I mean your grades have been slipping lately, you have to pull them back up."

"Yeah, I don't think my parents would appreciate seeing a bad Report Card on top of everything else.

"I bet they'd take a belt to you," Elaine teased.

"Or ground me forever…"

"Yeah, no phone…" Elaine continued.

"No email or instant messenger, Dawn added.

"Poor, poor Dawn ", Elaine laughed.

"No sleepovers, Dawn continued.

"No sleepover? Hey this affects me too. Girlfriend let's go hit the books."

No comments:

Post a Comment