Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Teen's Fear

Part 2
By B McIntosh & S Hield

Three weeks later Elaine was still reeling with shock. She couldn't believe the news Dawn had given her. Mrs. Thurston, Dawn's mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Elaine was still worried about Dawn. School had only been opened a few weeks but Dawn's grades were already slipping.

"I don't know how to help her", Lainie thought. Her mind went back to the conversation she'd had with Dawn.

"I'm scared Lainie," Dawn had said. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost my mom."
"I'm sure she's going to be fine Dawn" Lainie said hugging Dawn sympathetically. "Have you talked to your mom?"

At that question Dawn started crying even more. "I'm trying not to let her see how scared I am. I don't want her to worry about me. She's the one who's sick. I should be taking care of her."

"I'm sure your mom would want to know how you're feeling Dawn. You should try talking to her. By the way, how is your dad taking it?"

"He's trying to be strong but neither of us can imagine life without mom."

"Dawn you have to stop being so negative," Elaine said. "Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence you know many women survive breast cancer."

"I know Lainie but my mom's sister died from that a few years ago, remember? And now the doctors have recommended that my mom have a mastectomy and my aunt had her breast removed also."

"Dawn where's your faith?" Elaine asked. "Have you prayed about this?
"Lainie, I'm scared to pray because I don't know what will happen to my faith if God doesn't answer."

"On that note a tear came to Lainie's eye but she didn't let Dawn see. "Well to quote the words of that old song, that's what friends are for," she said. "Let's stop here for a minute."

Elaine and Dawn stopped under a tree and Elaine held her friend's hand and said a short, simple prayer. She asked God to comfort Dawn and her family and to heal Dawn's mother. "I know you are a healer, God she finished and I'm believing you will perform a miracle on Dawn's mother amen.

"Earth to Elaine, earth to Elaine. Elaine came to herself with a start realizing that the object of her thoughts Dawn was calling her name. "She's looking a lot happier Elaine thought as Dawn walked towards her.

(Is Dawn's mother going to be okay? How will Dawn handle it if she's not? Stay tuned for the next installment of "A Teen's Fear" In fact why don't you send me your suggestions or leave them on the forum board at geocities.com/kirgt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment